Thursday 26 August 2010

Bravery

I was brave yesterday and started to tell my nearest and dearest about my intentions. 

First I told my kids that I'd been for a run and then talked about couch to 5k.  I got my DD fired up about it and ready to come out with me today, but it has rained all day so I let her stay indoors - no point starting her off miserable, plus I needed that 30 min break from them both.
They were both very supportive and interested, so I did the biggie last night and talked about it with my husband.  Well, DS blurted it, so I had little choice!  I was pleasantly surprised at how supportive he was, particularly as he then said that he'd like to come and do it with me.  How wonderful is that?  I will have to think about how best to do it as I run with my i pod - maybe he can borrow DS's?  I do have concerns about how well we will do running together, particularly as DH is already fit from cycling, but if we have a circuit round the park it won't matter (all things crossed)

Raindrops falling on waterImage via Wikipedia
So, I was all fired up to go for a run early this morning, but when I woke up it was chucking it down.  Instead we did the shopping and came home for lunch.  I kept waiting for the rain to stop, but decided it was set in for the day so I rescued my Ron Hills from the line and tumbled them dry (sorry, but I had nothing else to run in).  I stretched and then armed with water, i pod and GPSr (to track how far I went) off I went in the damp and cold.

For my first day I listened to the Robert Ullrey podcast, but changed it today for the Chubby Jones one and loved how she talked a lot through the running part - definitely engaging my mind to stop me worrying about my legs!  I'd love to know how to mix a voice track over my own play lists without needing to buy a mac or software, but give it time I think.  I already know I need some new trainers, so I'll go to the Running Fox to get some fitted.  It seems a bit flashy to my conscience as it's a 'real' runners' shop and a bit of me is standing hand on hips, sneering and asking who the heck I think I am.  The rest of me just thumbs her nose and says sod you - my knees are worth it!  I could get very carried away and want other toys - so far my mental list goes - i phone or such to use apps, Nike plus, noise cancelling headphones........ shocking that I could have that list so quickly and me not much of a material girl!

I started to reread 'Intuitive Eating' last night and will write more of this in a later post - no use blurting it all in one big one!  I have noticed that I'm not so hungry the last few days - is exercise an appetite suppressant?  Or is it the honeymoon period of 'I'm taking care of myself'?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment